Free school meals
Free school meals are available to pupils in full-time education whose parents/carers receive certain types of benefit or support.
Does your child qualify for free school meals?
Your child will qualify for free schools meals if you’re receiving one of the following benefits:
- income support
- income based job seekers allowance
- income related employment and support allowance
- guarantee element of state pension credit
- child tax credit with no working tax credit and have an income as assessed by the Inland Revenue that does not exceed £16,190 (subject to change annually)
- support under Part 1V of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- universal credit
Your child won’t qualify for free school meals if you’re receiving working tax credits and disabled working tax credits.
Apply for free school meals if you live in the Barnsley Area
You live in Barnsley and your child goes to school in Barnsley, Bradford, Wakefield or Kirklees – Fill in the application for free school meals.
Apply for free school meals if you live outside the Barnsley area
You live in Rotherham, Doncaster, Sheffield or Leeds, but your child goes to school in Barnsley
Fill in our application for free school meals.
You live in Bradford, Wakefield or Kirklees, but your child attends school in Barnsley
You should apply to the council offices where you live for your child’s free school meals.
For more information, help or advice please contact the Free School Meals team by click on the links below –
Or call: 01226 787787 between 8.30am and 5pm Monday to Thursday; 8.30am and 4.30pm Fridays